Big Bad Banksia Men and other scary stories
I have kept these pictures of the Potato Point Big Bad Banksia men (and women) on hold for awhile. I have been waiting on the right post. I guess today is it! It has been misting for the last couple of days, the garden is still in seedling stage and we don't have a lot of other updates. So you are getting a taste of growing up Australian.
The banksia men star as the villians of the Gumnut baby stories and are always plotting to capture the children. We had the book Snugglepot and Cuddlepie for the kids. Picture chubby toddlers wearing eucalyptus gum nuts (image below) on their heads and not wearing much else
As it is children's story, the banksia men are thwarted in their bad behavior, often by Mr. Lizard, a goanna so fast he isn't afraid of the banksia men or snakes!
In reality, the banksia start as delicate bird-friendly flowersPhoto by Leon Brooks, gumnuts-flowering
The goannas are often up a tree, trying to not be noticed
And the majority of the snakes at our place are red-bellied black snakes. They are happy to be left alone to sun. Curious maybe, but not aggressive
Honestly, the magpies are scarier
I have tried to pick up more Aussie kids books so we have selection for any youngsters that come to visit. So far, just older folks!
We are part of a landcare group for our creek and one of the other members writes and illustrates childrens' books -
The artwork is amazing. She also has an animal rescue so check out her FB page Will have to find one of her books to add to my collection.
The artwork is amazing. She also has an animal rescue so check out her FB page Will have to find one of her books to add to my collection.
If you do come to the house, we can loan you our other field guides: birds, trees and gnomes....
I promise, we are very safe to visit- as long as you don't come during magpie nesting season.We have first aid kits, snake bite kits and other warning signs as appropriate*
*not on our property and I am not sure anything that small will be that useful!



Comments
Post a Comment